Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
We live in a wonderful part of the country where we can get locally and freshly made tortillas just at our local grocery store. However not everyone is so lucky, and not every package of tortillas is created the same. Last summer my friend sent me this recipe for homemade tortillas and swore by them. I gave it a shot and we haven’t turned back since! (Although I have recently found a great alternative if you want a short cut to the preparation with still that homemade taste and with all natural ingredients.)
Here are some of our favorite recipes with tortillas (and not just Mexican food):
- Enchilada Cups
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Bacon and Egg Taquitos
- Black Bean, Carrot, and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
- Chicken and Green Chile Enchiladas
- Kid Approved Breakfast Burritos
- Quinoa Burritos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Chicken and Broccoli Quesadilla
- Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Burrito
- Poppy Seed Chicken Pinwheels
- Thai Inspired Chicken Wraps
- Easy Freezable Beef Enchiladas
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Kelly @ Onceamonthmom.com
- 6 Cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 10 Tablespoons, butter
- 2 Cups HOT tap water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1) Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or two forks, until butter is distributed and looks crumbly.
2) Dissolve the salt into the hot water. Pour the salted water into the flour mixture, stir until all combined.
3) Divide dough into equal balls. Flour clean surface and roll each ball of dough flat until it is about 8 inches diameter.
4) Heat a skillet or griddle on high then reduce to medium. Place rolled dough into skillet. Cook until a few bubbles form then flip. Allow the other side to cook about one minute.
5) Stack the completed tortillas on a plate and continue to cook until finished.
Place plastic wrap in between tortillas, and place into plastic bag, store in freezer until ready to cook. To serve: Defrost in refrigerator overnight and use in your casseroles, burritos, enchiladas, or heat in the microwave for about one minute for a side to your favorite rice and beans.
Servings: 12-18 tortillas depending on size
This Post will be linked at: