Tofu Burrito Bowl
Who doesn’t like the burrito bowls served at Mexican restaurants? When I set out to create my own burrito bowl, I wanted to retain the flavor of the restaurant variety, but substitute wholesome, vegetarian ingredients to create a healthy, economical alternative. This recipe includes cilantro lime rice but uses brown rice instead of processed rice. It uses marinated tofu instead of meat and yogurt instead of sour cream.
Tofu Burrito Bowl
Regan @ Onceamonthmom.com
- 2 cups brown rice (rice)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (rice)
- 4 teaspoons salt (rice)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (rice)
- 4 Tablespoons lime juice (rice)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (rice)
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil (rice)
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu (tofu)
- 1.25 ounces taco seasoning (tofu)
- 0.25 teaspoons salt (tofu)
- 1 cup water (tofu)
- 1.5 cups frozen corn (salsa)
- 0.5 large onion, chopped (salsa)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (salsa)
- 1 teaspoon salt (salsa)
- 0.5 teaspoon pepper (salsa)
- 0.5 cup chopped cilantro (salsa)
- 1.33 cups black beans
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 4 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
Rice: Place vegetable broth and rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for at least 10 more minutes. Stir in remaining rice ingredients.
Tofu: Whisk together taco seasoning, salt and water. Pour into a shallow dish and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Place tofu in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook until warm.
Salsa: Mix all ingredients together. Combine rice, tofu, and black beans. Top with salsa, cheese, lettuce, and Greek yogurt.
Portion rice, tofu, and black bean mixture into quart freezer bags. Place cheese and salsa in a pint freezer bag. To serve: Thaw. Rice, tofu and black beans can be served hot or cold. Top with salsa and cheese mixture, lettuce, and Greek yogurt.
**conversion chart image provided by Erik Spiekermann