TRADITIONAL March 2011 Menu (OAMC, Once A Month Cooking, Freezer Cooking)
March. It always comes so quickly. It is amazing how simply not having 2-3 days in a month makes it feel like it flies by. But I always do.
March is a transitional month for us here. We are still in the midst of winters grips but looking and cooking for the dawn of Spring. The philosophy here is that you would grocery shop your list all month and cook at the end of the month, thus eating this menu in April. As we near the end of March we see Lent appear and with that many of you need non-meat options for Fridays. Thus the appearance of salmon on the menu.
True, salmon is usually more expensive then cuts of beef or chicken, however, don’t get scared, the overall value of the menu typically evens out to make your 4-person entrees still average less than $5. It just seems a little difficult when you are the register watching all that salmon add up. I know, it always makes me cringe too.
If you aren’t a lover of salmon then you can definitely try substituting chicken. For the items where the salmon is cooking in the dish (Salmon, Shrimp, and Corn Chowder) you will want to cook the chicken first. The other recipes, you will simply need to lengthen the cooking time to accommodate your chicken breasts.
March is also transitional because we start seeing some of the spring produce making its way onto grocer shelves. Asparagus, strawberries, lemons, broccoli, salad greens, and peas are a few to look forward to.
Overall, I hope that you and your family will really enjoy this menu! And as always, donations for the service are always welcome. ;) (But not required)
I hope you enjoy these meals as much as our early readers/cooks have. If you are new and not sure how to get started, read here. For frequently asked questions visit here. And there are several other helpful links under the Helpful Hints/Resources section below to help you on your cooking journey. Good luck!
- Sorry folks, I tried but Old Man Winter has us in his firm grips and seems to be coughing in our faces. I hope to be back in action next month.
- Included below are the menu items that we will be preparing as part of our Once A Month Cooking (OAMC) BIG DAY. In the printable March 2011 Recipe Cards the menu items are listed as single, double, or quadruple depending on how much we need to make on the BIG DAY. The recipes linked below are ONLY for the single batch, to see the amounts we are making on the OAMC BIG DAY you will need to visit the printable March 2011 Recipe Cards.
**Indicates meals that require NO COOKING on your OAMC BIG DAY!
- Included in this spreadsheet you will find a listing of all the items you will need to complete your March OAMC BIG DAY. For more instructions on how to use this, go here.
- March 2011 OAMM Grocery List
- These are the step-by-step instructions you will need to quickly and efficiently approach your OAMC BIG DAY!
- March 2011 OAMM Instructions – FULL Menu
- March 2011 OAMM Instructions – HALF Menu
These customized labels are designed specifically for the March 2011 Once A Month Mom Menu. They contain not only the name of the dish but also the serving instructions for preparing the dish on your serving day. They make preparation of the dishes hassle free.
These labels are designed to be printed on Avery 8163 or equivalent! Readers who didn’t have labels available suggested just printing them on paper and taping them.
Facebook Fan Party:
OAMM Facebook Fan Page Party – March 20th 2011, 9:00 pm – 9:45 pm EST – We will be able to chat via video AND messaging during the event through FACEBOOK! How cool is that? You can also see other past recordings from that tab as well.
Instructions for viewing live-stream:
- Go to the Once A Month Mom Facebook Fan Page.
- Click on the “Stickam” Tab in the left side margin.
- Hit “view live recording” – If I am live streaming it will show you what is happening in progress. If I am not live streaming at the time, you will have the option to click through other videos that I have recorded in the past.
Each month we have some wonderful volunteers who “test” out the menu prior to publication. They do an amazing job of helping to eliminate confusion and mistakes. They may not catch everything but they sure do catch A LOT! Here is a little bit about this month’s test cooks:
- Gretchen Jaynes – I am a stay at home mom. Married to a wonderful man and stay busy taking care of our 3 children – who are 5, 3 and 1. I enjoy all things home – cooking, baking, canning, gardening, organizing, freezer cooking! and sewing. I also blog at http://www.extraordinaryordinarylife.blogspot.com/.
- Heather Reiter -
- Creating Your Own OAMC Menu Series
- How To Navigate the OAMM Menu
- Preparing For A Successful OAMC Day
- Adapting The Menu for YOUR Family
- Making the Menu Healthier
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Shopping For Your Cooking Day
- Final Shopping Trip For Your OAMC Day
- Choosing The Right Containers
What do you think of March 2011’s menu?
If you are feeling abundantly blessed and generous feel free to donate. :) But don’t feel guilty if you aren’t able. And don’t forget you can always go back and use March 2009‘s OR March 2010‘s menus if you are looking for something different!