Easy Italian Unstuffed Shells
All the flavors of stuffed shells, with much less work!!
Pam @ Onceamonthmom.com
- 1 box medium pasta shells (about 4 cups, uncooked)
- 1 pound Italian bulk sausage or ground beef, cooked
- 40 ounces pasta sauce
- 0.75 cups cream cheese spread*
- 0.25 cup milk
- 0.25 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 0.5 cups chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Cook pasta as directed on package, in salted boiling water. Add cooked sausage to pasta sauce; simmer on medium heat 2 min., stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Drain pasta. Whisk cream cheese spread, milk and Parmesan in large bowl until well blended. Add pasta and basil; stir gently until pasta is evenly coated. Spread half the meat sauce onto bottom of two greased 8×8 baking dishes. Cover with pasta mixture and remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella; cover with foil. Bake at 375F covered, 40 to 45 min. or until heated through, uncovering after 30 min.
Prepare as above, but do not bake. Cover with foil, label, and freeze. To serve: Thaw in fridge. Bake at 375F covered, 40 to 45 min. or until heated through, uncovering after 30 min.
**conversion chart image provided by Erik Spiekermann